6.12.2007

Tuesday, July 18, 1944

I spent the majority of the day cleaning the house. I think I’ve never scrubbed as hard ever before but I want Olivia to feel at home and the house like new for her. I really wished I had time to paint the inside of the house but feel it is still fine. I’ll let Olivia decide should she want to color the white walls.

I was just brushing my teeth when I remembered that I needed to wear a suit for the ceremony tomorrow! I had then spent about a good half hour trying it on and brushing it clean. It’s a good thing I still had one decent shirt that I re-ironed. Why I did all this, I cannot possibly explain for I only own one good set that I always wear every Sunday to church. Naturally, my thoughts had wandered to the ceremony and then to a sinking realization that I had forgotten to find Mama’s ring –the ring! I had half scrambled and tumbled down to the cellar and frantically tried to remember where I had stashed Mama’s jewelry box when I suddenly recalled that it was one of the items I’ve set aside, as with Pa’s watch. It’s in a shoebox up on the closet shelf in the bunk room. I sat in the closet and contemplated on the ring…will she like it or hate it? Will she get upset that I had presumed she’d want a ring or would she rather that she pick her own or maybe that’s not an important thing for her. How should I know this? It is now giving me a headache, I returned the ring in its place and will decide what it will be tomorrow. I wish I had remembered it earlier, now I won’t have time to decide as to its fate but I would be ideal if Olivia can wear my Ma’s ring. I am sure she would love to pass it along to her.

I have to admit, this unexpected exercise gave me a rush of energy but my nervousness combined with the exhaustion had finally caught up. I must sleep now or I will miss my own wedding. Before that I must also remember to at least wind Pa’s clock for good luck and to not fall asleep before I can say my evening prayers. Easing my nervousness does little to help me when the realization finally dawns that I will be a married man tomorrow. What future holds for me and Olivia?