5.01.2007

Tuesday, June 20, 1944

Today had been a strange day.

Reverend Case came to see me today at the farm. I was in the barn and I heard a sound coming up the driveway. I walked out and saw him getting out of his car. The look and the sight signaled some feelings I have been trying to forget but now it hit me full force and reminded me of the time he came over and delivered to me Daniel’s terrible news. I can hardly remember how I came through that day but Rev. Case’s image was forever imprinted in my brain. Naturally, my heart starting pounding, save my sister and her family, I’ve got no one else to lose these days. Did something happen to Martha? to Hank? the kids? I recited a quick heartfelt prayer that they are fine.

My feet refused to move to greet him, I was rooted to the ground, waiting for the big punch. He came to me with a hint of a smile and it startled me. It gave me some relief for even though he wore a hesitant smile it was still a smile and that it somehow assured me that my initial feelings were not what I had feared. We somehow ended up in my living room and I offered him some co’cola. What happened next I am still trying to put into words here….

He said he had a proposition that he wanted me to consider. He proceeded to tell me about a girl in Denver who needed to get married to save her family’s reputation. This girl, who I hardly know, is being recommended to me by the Reverend to be my wife. I could hardly say a word for I didn’t know how to react to such an offer. I heard him say he understood that I would need time to think this over. I remember nodding but I was trying to overcome the shock that was overwhelming me. Then I heard him say that he’ll be by in a week and we can talk again.

As it is, I am trying to remember what he had told me about the girl after he left. I had worked hard and late today because of the unplanned visit. I am now not only physically tired but also mentally exhausted. I hope sleep will claim me and I will have a better mind tomorrow to think this through more rationally than I am able to tonight.